Monday, March 21, 2011

Anthony Wellington

How lucky we were today that Mr. Anthony Wellington, a professional musician, came to talk to us.  There are literally millions of teenage and college-age musicians who jam in bands and in garages, and millions more who dabble in the safety of their homes, and still countless others who enter their adult years playing music, often just scraping by.  Anthony is in that rare class who has reached a vertiginous level which far transcends the status of being just another musician; he has gone to the Grammies, he makes six figures, and he has a sterling reputation.  Professional teachers are everywhere, but professional musicians are rare breed.

I heard snickering after I asked him what magazine and books he reads.  I'll bet a few of the students thought I was crazy because, after all, this is not what one asks a professional musician who is the quintessence of cool. I knew that Anthony was a thinking man, and I know that congruent thinkers and speakers read. A lot. 


Anthony listed an armful of music magazines and journals that fill his mailbox.  A spiritual man, he mentioned that he reads widely about world religions, and then he listed many titles and authors who write about the psychology of music and success.  My hope is that many of the students realized that reading is power, and this is the stuff that puts our guest in a league above other musicians who couldn't care less about reading or deep thoughts.  Here are some of his recently read, favorite books:

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List