Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I found my "Self Improvement" Book! (Now have my students found theirs?)



Normally, I avoid paying full price for a hardcover book the way I avoid stepping on dog-droppings, but I HAD to buy one that came out just a couple weeks ago: Lincoln: The Biography of a Writer by Fred Kaplan. Could I have waited a few weeks until the price got knocked down to $10 on ebay/Half? Sure, but I sometimes get this way with books. I want to feel the book in my hands, fork over my money, and walk out with my fresh purchase. None of this "waiting-for-the-mailman-to-arrive" stuff for me! Not now.


There are a several reasons why I want to absorb this book:


1. I've always had a fascination with Abe Lincoln, ever since I played him in 6th grade for the play A Perfect Tribute. Sometimes, I feel as if I personally know him.
2. Obama is reading this very book right now.
3. Lincoln and I share a deep love for learning!
4. I once read that Lincoln had the juice to become a famous poet if only he chose poetry over politics.
5. I'm curious to know what Lincoln read and how he read it, and this book will tell me.
6. Lincoln out wrote all of our Presidents. What made him so good?
7. Over the years, I've read a dozen good books about Lincoln. This is just another to add to the pantheon.
8. I need a self improvement book to read right along with my students. I will relish reading this one about the great man.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List