Sunday, December 28, 2008

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” - Gandhi


This quote grabbed me from the window of a poster store as I strolled along South Street earlier today. The older I get, the more I think about the fragility of life. Not to sound morbid, but I look at the obituaries more these day. I "get" the elderly more. My heart goes out more to people who fail, through fate or dumb carelessness, to live to a ripe old age. Today on TV, I saw a story about an Army veteran - a guy my age - who found out last Valentine's Day that he had ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease). His degenerative, deadly condition fries his nervous system and turns his muscles to mush, making him move like an old man. He's in a great deal of pain and walks with a cane, but he has the courage to take it day by day and deal with it.

The man said that he refuses to get down because he knows that in another few months, he will yearn to be as he is now, still able to get around and feed himself. Today is as good as it gets.

I feel so blessed to be healthy, and though its fairly likely that I'll be around in a week, a month, a year - heck even 40 years from now - there are no guarantees. "Live as if you were to die tomorrow," says Gandhi. Take risks. Have passion. Bleed enthusiasm. Improve. Carpe Diem. Don't waste time.

"Learn as if you were to live forever." - Obtaining knowledge, insight, and wisdom should be our addiction. Everything we learn improves us and makes us stronger. In some ways the person who stops learning metaphorically dies.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”

R.I.P. Dr. John Pryor - You're a guy who would have gotten this quote
http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20081226_Penn_trauma_surgeon_killed_in_Iraq.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List