Tuesday, February 3, 2009

How is Shakespeare Hip Hop?

Lately, I've been thinking about how to help my ENG 10 students realize that Shakespeare's work and hip-hop are one and the same. Hip hop embodies the artistic, and usually verbal, portrayal of raw human emotions (love, hate, anger, envy, passion) into stylish songs and raps that often have contageous beats. Hip-hop also employs puns, irony, rhyme, sarcasm, paralipsis, iambic pentameter, and drama to convey messages.



I found some nice clips from Youtube that back up my contention.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec_pDV07pQg


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H2htG2bv20&feature=related

I don't mean to mar my blog with a direct quote from Wikepedia, but here goes:
Origin of the term of Hip Hop
Coinage of the term hip hop is often credited to Keith Cowboy, a rapper with Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five.[3] Though Lovebug Starski, Keith Cowboy, and DJ Hollywood used the term when the music was still known as disco rap, it is believed that Cowboy created the term while teasing a friend who had just joined the U.S. Army, by scat singing the words "hip/hop/hip/hop" in a way that mimicked the rhythmic cadence of marching soldiers.[3] Cowboy later worked the "hip hop" cadence into a part of his stage performance, which was quickly copied by other artists; for example the opening of the song "Rapper's Delight" by The Sugarhill Gang.


************************************************************

I hear big-time iambs in the following sequence of words:

hip/hop/hip/hop/hip/hop/hip/hop/hip/hop


Wait a second! Did I just write some iambic pentameter? Time to replace those hips and hops!

1 comment:

My Blog List