Thursday, February 19, 2009

Wisdom From Criminal Minds

I don't watch a lot of TV because I'm too lazy to hunt through the infinite number of channels to find something worthwhile, but every now and then the "boob tube" (this archaic term for a TV dates me) throws something wise my way and it sticks to my brain.

As Criminal Minds began last night, one of the characters quoted Einstein: "I never teach my pupils; I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn."

Heavens knows I remember so little of my high school lessons from back in the early Eighties, but I do remember the teachers who turned me on to knowledge. Mr. Pratt, Mrs. Fish, Mr. Wray, and Mr. Brooks made me feel comfortable and inquisitive. Of course teachers need to be well prepared and lesson plans need to be rigorous and relevant, but Einstein states that really effective teaching transcends this stuff. It corresponds with my mantra that I want my students to become their own best teachers.

I hope my students attack their research paper topics with real zeal, and become our resident experts about whatever they chose to study for the next month or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List