Sunday, March 22, 2009

Improvisation and Teaching

OK. I'll let it out. I've been a Sunday School teacher for 5th graders for the last five years. It is an amazing job that happens from 9AM to Noon, and I get to teach bible and ethics to the young 'uns.

A wrench was thrown into the gears of my lesson plan today, and I had to think fast. Every Sunday, I show a custom made PowerPoint to help illustrate the story line and main ideas in various bible stories. Increasingly, I augment what I do with cool stuff and video streaming that I pull from the Internet. Guess what happened!
The school director had to commandeer the projector for a guest speaker and she hadn't told me. Down the drain went my carefully constructed lesson! Instead of gnashing my teeth or shutting down, I used this as an opportunity. Instead of relying of visual stuff, I decided to go the audio way. Since it's a Jewish school and Hebrew instruction is vital, I went to Youtube and streamed Hebrew versions of songs from The Lion King, Alladin, and the Little Mermaid. Since the kids new the English versions so well, they were able to zone in on familiar Hebrew words and translate them. IT WAS A BLAST!!!! REAL and ENTHUSIASTIC LEARNING WENT ON.

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome! It seems like you had a really great time! I think every kid pretty much loves the Lion King, I mean hey, I'm almost eighteen and I adore the Lion King to this daaayyy! I occassionally catch myself singing the "Circle of Life" and a few other songs from the movie all the time! haha.

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List