Thursday, March 26, 2009

A Stressed Daughter


I hear my daughter roaring downstairs that her math homework is too hard. I hear her cursing her teacher, claiming that the woman didn't teach her how to do the advanced math assignment. I know that she'll simmer down soon, dig in, and get it done. My wife, the math whiz in the family, will probably give her a hand along the way, and help her crack the code of calculating sales tax.

Do we teachers really torture students with assignments like modern day, academic Torquemadas (he's the guy who spearheaded the Spanish Inquisition)? Some students feel the heat, get stressed, do the work - sometimes hating it all the while - and turn in the final product. Other students blow it off and flounder through their high school years. Tragically, some drop out.

What if my daughter didn't have parents who conditioned her to make the academics happen and earn those grades? What if she were conditioned to shut down whenever adversity or tough challenges cross her path. I feel for the kids who don't have a parent or guardian seriously setting the expectations for success. It can't be easy if you're doing it all on your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List