Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Book Purses


One reason why I love Senior Project Seminar has to do with how my students make me smarter. Normally I don't think much about purses (being a wallet-man myself), but a radio program on National Public Radio yesterday captured my attention because it made me think of Miss Salaam and how she mentioned that her fashion show will include custom made accessories, including purses.

An extremely creative woman named Caitlin Phillips uses the spines and covers of discarded books to make purses. Book lovers like me tell her that this seems sacrilegious, but she replies that she intercepts them from libraries, flea markets, and garage sales before they hit the dumpster. She admitted that she has given old bibles new life.


Because of my students' interests, I find myself absorbing media in new ways. I recently read a a fascinating article in The New York Times about how the ability of humans to use fire to cook their food enabled our species to evolve faster. Naturally, I thought of Enrique Gonzalez and his voracious interest in the origins of French cuisine. I would have overlooked this article if he were not in my class.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/21/science/21conv.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=evolution%20cooking&st=cse

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List