Thursday, April 30, 2009

BRUUUUUCE!!!!

Are you familiar with Bruce Springsteen's music? Can you identify him in a line up? If you are a high school student these days, the answer is probably "No," but nevertheless, he is an iconic rock n' roll figure, probably one of the top ten to ever live.
As a boy, I remember listening to the stereo for hours, waiting with agony for it to finally give up one of the Boss's songs. When the right song came on, I'd push the "RECORD" switch on my tape deck and let it sponge up the melody on what was then the magnetic cassette tapes (For the young 'uns, that's what we had before the increasingly out-of-date CDs). This is how we got our songs for free back in the late Seventies. No iTunes. No Limewire. No Youtube.

A couple nights ago, I saw the last concert that Bruce Springsteen will ever have at the Spectrum. I swear that this man must bathe in his own personal Fountain of Youth because he commanded that stage as a 30 year-old would, jumping, leaping, straining, sliding, kicking, and rock n' rolling like a man possessed. He sent bolts of musical electricity through the sold out show. Some people worship him as if he were some kind of religious deity. I suppose, for some, music is a kind of religion

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List