Monday, December 7, 2009

The 10th day of Dhul-Hijjah

This is the third time that I've read Kite Runner and I encountered something on page 67 that intrigued me. I want to know more about Islam, a religion that dominates the news, a religion that burgeons with 1.8 billion people, and here I am, an educated fellow, and I know virtually nothing about it.

As the book gets started, a reference is made about the 10th day of Dhul-Hijjah. I investigated on-line and made a Text to Text connection that floored me: Muslims believe that the patriarch Abraham (Ibrahim) had only one son - Ishmael. Jews and Christians believe that he had two: Ishmael, the first-born by the maidservant Hagar, and Isaac, birthed by Sarah.

The Judeo-Christain tradition dictated that God directed Abraham to sacrifice Isaac on top of a mountain. Moments before the old man was about to slit his son's troat, along came an unnamed angel who ordered him to call it off, as he just proved his faith.

On the nine days preceding the 10th of Dhul-Hijjah, an Islamic month, Muslim pilgrims intensively prepare for the Haj. On the 10th day they commemorate with a festival, observing the time that Ismael was nearly sacrificed by Ibrahim and saved in the nick of time by an angel named Gibril (English-Gabriel, Hebrew-Gavriel).

On the second day of Rosh Hashana, Jews read about the binding and near sacrifice of Isaac. Ten days later, Yom Kippur gets observed.

I wonder what other parallels exist between Judaism and Islam?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mr Abrams I was reading your latest blog and to much of my amazement Islam is a combination of both Christianity and Judaism but it has several addition which were appealing to the Arab people. I hope you find this little bit of information interesting. I know I did.

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List