Monday, December 28, 2009

Gorky!!

I just saw an exhibit at the Philadelphia Museum of Art that centers on the life and work of Arshile Gorky. He wasn't received well by the power players, collectors, and art brokers when he was alive, but now, about 60 years after his death, people are beginning to give him a second look.

Though I can't honestly say that his prolific paintings and drawings resonate with me, I am nevertheless inspired by the man's work ethic, his creative fire, and the careful, original way that he approached his craft. As a young refugee from the Armenian genocide perpetrated by Turks, he set out to educate himself about art, particularly absorbed inspiration from Cezanne, Picasso, and Miro. He went to museums. By copying the styles and techniques of the masters, he eventually found his own style.

Perhaps this is one of the true silver bullets for getting students to write well and enjoy the process. Have them find an accomplished writer whom they appreciate, and have them imitate the writing style.

My daughter, who is an extraordinary writer, never received formal writing lessons. Oh sure, I've given her a couple tips along the way, and she's benefited from fine teachers who helped her hone her talent, but I've watched her find her writing voice from thoroughly reading hundreds and hundreds of books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List