Saturday, January 31, 2009

Facebook Reunion


FACEBOOK MADE IT HAPPEN!

I recently got in touch with a high school classmate whom I haven't spoken to in twenty-five years. One quarter of a century. Ugh! I'm getting older.

Anyway, we weren't terribly close back then. We were both kids who did well in school, participated in after school activities, and then went home. Both Steve and I really didn't have a network of close friends to hang out with, and needless to say we weren't party people.

I'm struck today by how much we have in common. His information list-of-interests practically reads like mine, and he's terrific writer. Within a day, we exchanged a huge batch of reminiscences, some good and some bad. We grew up in a very small town in upstate New York, a place that was claustrophobic for people like us - folks who like culture, museums, and diversity. He now lives in Yonkers, and lived previously in Manhattan. We probably would have been friends if we had given each other half a chance.

It was fun remembering our teachers- the boring ones, the zany ones, the amazingly inspirational ones, and the deceased ones that live only in our memories. It really hit me through my correspondence with Steve how much teachers matter and make us the adults we are today. We both remember how Mr. Wray played the B-52s in English class how we were both blown away, having never heard anything like it before.

2 comments:

  1. I think facebook is a very safe way to keep in contact with old friends. I've recently found a few friends that use to leave around the corner from me, but moved. It's so cool seeing how people have changed and just learning new things about them! I've spotted a few teachers facebooks, but I'll do my requesting once I graduated haha!

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List