Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Poe and Our Men's Basketball Team

I saw Poe's picture spread across the Magazine section of today's newspaper. I've always had a soft spot for the tortured E.A. Poe since I'm usually drawn to offbeat, creepy stuff (I hope my wife doesn't see this entry).

Anyway, the quote that headed the article, "There is an eloquence in true enthusiasm," really hit home because this is the very stuff that drives me. Watching enthusiastic, passionate people work is absolutely magical, and when things really rattle and hum, they can have the aura of a performer about them. I don't care if the subject is a custodian, a comedian, a cosmetologist, or a clown; enthusiasm should propel us, and if you don't have it, then fake it.

If only Poe could have seen our boys basketball team play Sterling earlier this evening. We lost, but the guys gave the fans a cardiac roller coaster of a game. Enthusiasm and adrenaline provided the a fluency and smoothness that that made nearly every moment a pleasure to watch. Virtuosity is a word that comes to mind.

When I started my teaching career about ten years ago, I came across another related quote that has always inspired me: "I don't teach high school; I teach enthusiasm."

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List