Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Beyonce

What quality about Barack Obama most inspires you?

At last Tuesday's Inaugural Neighborhood Ball, I was struck by Beyonce emotionally sharing with America that President Obama inspires her to want to be "smarter," and I feel very much the same way. Smartness to me means reading and digesting books, learning more not for grades but for the sake of simply learning more, and empathizing and dialoguing more with others who don't share my opinions, lifestyle, or standard of living. Being smart means taking my level of knowledge and wisdom to the next level.

Personally, I admire people who are smarter and more well-read than I. Unlike skilled athletes who all grow old and incapacitated, or wealthy people who can be prone to losing their millions, brainy readers like President Obama become exponentially wiser with age. We all can't become adept athletes or inhabit 10,000 square foot houses, but we all have free and easy access to great ideas and fine books by means of the library, Internet, and teachers.

Will President Obama inspire millions of Americans to pack the libraries as movie fans pack a Loews for two hours on a Saturday night? Probably not. But I have confidence that he will start to inspire more of us to better ourselves by walking the talk when it comes to learning, reading, and thinking more. See you at Barnes and Noble, Beyonce!

2 comments:

  1. The part of your blog entry where you mention .. "Personally, I admire people who are smarter and more well-read than me. Unlike skilled athletes who all grow old and incapacitated, or wealthy people who can be prone to losing their millions, brainy readers like President Obama become exponentially wiser with age" is a little offensive to the part where you mention the skilled athletes who all grow old, NOT ALL athletes grow old, they could have a different career choice. NOT all athletes just sit around and do nothing with their lives.. a lot of athletes, do charity work and help the community. I get the vibe that your disgriminating against them. However, I also believe that Obama can inspire more to better themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo!

    Anonymous: I think the point Mr. Abrams was making is that athletes' physical ability eventually diminishes, riches do not endure forever, but knowledge is something that sticks with you and can actually increase with age if you cultivate it. You're right, there are athletes that go on to do great things after their 15 seconds have passed, but what allows them to do this? Wisdom.

    Here's a paraphrase of a quote I like:
    "Sell everything and buy Wisdom! Forage for Understanding! Don't forget one word! Don't deviate an inch! Never walk away from Wisdom - she guards your life; love her - she keeps her eye on you. Above all and before all, do this: Get Wisdom! Write this at the top of your list: Get Understanding! Throw your arms around her - believe me, you won't regret it; never let her go - she'll make your life glorious."

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List