Thursday, January 1, 2009

An Education Through TCM


My wife and I sat our kids down in front of the television and had family movie night this evening, courtesty of TCM http://www.tcm.com/index.jsp . Thank goodness for this incredible resource which is something that can give young people like my kids an alternative to the fluffy stream of Disney Channel and Nickelodian programming that saturates young brains.

I saw that the 1934 ultra classic It Happened One Night would be on and called the kids down. This snappy film directed by Frank Capra, and starring Claudet Colbert and Clark Gable, won five Oscars in its day. This film is the daddy of all screwball comedies and durably defines the genre.
I think of how so few modern high school students appreciate music and film older than 1995. At the mention of black and white film, we "old heads" can practically hear the teenage eyes rolling. If parents don't turn kids on to classic films, then it is up to us teachers. We can help students efficiently excavate through the mountains of media and lead them directly to the mother lode - the clusters of gold. The classics are there for the taking. Now for my first video link. Enjoy and archtypal slice of comedy from It Happened One Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List