Monday, January 19, 2009

A Student Lost and Found

s I sat in the food court of a local mall earlier this evening, a vaguely familiar student walked up to my table and said hello. I barely recognized him, and never would have nailed his name if he hadn't told me. Why? A few years ago, he transferred to my class, staying for only a month or two. Every year I have a few students like him, young men and women whose names inhabit my attendance sheet, but whose bodies and minds are a million metaphorical miles away. Sometimes they goof off, crying out for attention, and other times they want simply to be left alone, resisting all attempts for me to teach or connect with them. They are usually absent, just like this young man. Tragically, they often drop out, going to a place beyond my reach.

Our man, who in this blog shall remain nameless, sat down and told me how he decided to turn his life around because he saw how he was driving his future into a deep pit, blowing off school, hanging with the wrong crowd, and wasting his potential. Without help or guidance from parents, he took the initiative to focus on his studies while becoming an independent man with his own set of wheels. He explained how he skillfully and patiently interviewed his way into an excellent job that requires him to multi-task and to exhibit reliability at every turn, and yes, he is still in high school. He handles thousands of dollars of cash during every shift. He spoke like a thirty year old man, commanding both the English language and my intense respect. This is a leader going places.

He told me, more or less, to keep fighting for the kids who were like him - the ones who seem swallowed alive by their environment, the ones who fight us teachers and resist getting educated, the ones who seem as if they have no hope.
EVERYONE HAS THE POTENTIAL TO TURN IT AROUND. WE ALL NEED TO HEAR SOMETHING POSITIVE SAID ABOUT OURSELVES. EVERYONE.

1 comment:

My Blog List