Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Book Thief

Some books need a second chance. Last year, Ms. Baggs suggested that I read The Book Thief. I tried the first ten pages and just didn't feel it, so I discreetly returned it, my tail between my legs. A few weeks ago, another friend said, "Larry, you must read The Book Thief; it is your kind of novel." I decided to try something new...

Last summer, I became a rabid fan of audiobooks, so over winter break I effortlessly downloaded this novel. After five minutes of listening, I was completely smitten. The man narrating it has a British accent that sounds like it's been marinated by cigarettes and age, and he expertly lapses into a smorgasbord of German flavored tones and cadences. Lately, I've been bouncing back and forth between listening to the novel and reading it. I listen to the novel when I clean the kitchen and take my walks around the neighborhood. It has become my friend.

(Interested in free audiobooks, gentle reader? Check out http://sjrlc.lib.overdrive.com/7246968A-03B4-43C1-A015-C7FA3D93CA0B/10/337/en/Default.htm )

The novel is set in Nazi Germany, and the protagonist,who is the book thief, is a preteen girl living in foster care who becomes adept at stealing books. She and her family are excruciatingly poor, and extremely kind; they can't stand Hitler and the Nazis. They daringly hide a Jew in their basement, an offense punishable by imprisonment, torture, and maybe even death. The amazingly creative facet about the novel is that the omniscient narrator is Death, with a capital "D." Yes, Death, is relaying this poignant story that focuses on Liesel, the young and wily protagonist.

"Like people, books sometimes need second chances."
- Mr. Abrams

2 comments:

  1. This book does seem verry interesting!! (: I lovee learning about the holocaust, for example, "Number the Stars" was such a good book! This book is in our library downstairs!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book seems like something that I would read. As I'm sure you already know, reading isn't a favorite of mine. I have to have serious intrest in a book to even pick it up. I always loved learning about the Holocaust, I even read Anne Frank's Diary, so I think this is a book I might buy!

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List