Sunday, January 4, 2009

Trip to Northlandz Model Train Museum!!

I spent three hours this afternoon touring a New Jersey gem with my son and his scout den: Northlandz Train Museum. One man named Bruce Williams Zaccagnino spent the better part of thirty years sculpting miniature landscapes in a 50,000 foot warehouse that accommodates 50,000 feet of track on which hundreds of electric trains journey and loop.

The museum is a jaw-dropping, massive display of this amazing man's passion for model trains. His discipline and craftsmanship boggled me and hours later I'm still getting over it. He has the industriousness of an aunt and the creativity of an authentic genius.
Here is an excerpt from the brochure that really struck me because sometimes I really feel it in my teaching: The man's mission is revealed here:

"This is what we do" says Mr. Williams, who along with his wife’s steadfast support works 365 days a year in pursuit of this accomplishment "If you can create your own enthusiasm, you can do anything", he said, "If you maintain that enthusiasm you can do it well". If Ralph Waldo Emerson is correct in that "Nothing great can be achieved without enthusiasm," then something spectacular has happened in Flemington.'"
I INVITE YOU TO CHECK OUT THE PICKS AND VISIT-

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List