Saturday, January 10, 2009

Journal Prompt Grab Bag - $1,000,000,000

If I had $1,000,000 dollars I would keep my day job. When I was young, a million dollars seemed like an fantastically huge amount of money,and I suppose it was in the 70's and 80's, but now it seems almost paltry. A person could never retire on the interest generated by that kind of cash, for having a cool million in a savings account would generate $15,000 per year tops. To put it into the stock market these days? Yikes!

Not to be completely boring, this is what I'd do...
  1. Firstly, put half in the bank and half in the stock market via my 401k and IRA (and there must be some bargain stocks out there.

  2. I would use the funds to finance an international vacation with my family each year - France, Israel, Russia, Argentina, China, Japan, Mexico, Africa, Australia, Galapagos.... Here we come! A nice three week vacation each year will cost about $20 grand a pop!

  3. I would put $100,000 into a safe college fund for each of my children.

  4. Charity must not be forgotten. If a million dollars suddenly came my way, I'd cut a $20,000 check for some kind of charity.

  5. I'd spend about $20,000 or so for upgrades on our house. We'd like new siding, a finished basement, and a nice backyard deck.


1 comment:

  1. Yes, this blog is a little boring, but very sensible. I like the part about the international vacation with your family each year! I would love to do that. I can tell you care about your children very much because you would save money for their college funds.

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List