Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Lincoln: What he wanted as a young man.

With every page from my chosen self-improvement book, Lincoln: The Biography of a Writer, I learn something new about our greatest president. Today on page 24 I read an excerpt that he wrote when he was about 24 and seeking his first political position in the Illinois state legislature.

"Every man is said to have his peculiar ambition. Whether it is true or not, I can say for one that I have no other so great as that of being truly esteemed by my fellow man, by rendering myself worthy of their esteem."

Wow! Here is a young man who cares passionately about earning the good will and respect of other people. How different from crumb-bum politicians who don't give a damn about citizens' opinions.

I would hope that good teachers and professionals would want to feel the same as young Lincoln, that it is important to be esteemed by both students,customers, and colleagues. I can't stand it when authority figures immaturely reason, "If they don't like me then I don't have to like them." Lately, I've been thinking of the magnificent teacher Lincoln would have made. Lucky for us that he went on to climb the politcal ladder right into the White House!

1 comment:

  1. I shared this Blog with Ms. Ryan before we went to Obama's speech on Saturday :)

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List