Saturday, January 3, 2009

Dumpster Diving for Education.


I've never stolen books as the protagonist does in The Book Thief, the latest novel that has gripped me for the last few days.

I have, however, gone dumpster diving behind the local library and, oh, the sweet finds I've encountered! I never know when the library is going to weed through its stacks and sprinkle discards into the brown dumpster. Upon opening the lid recently, a few Seventeen magazines from the early Seventies greeted me along with several chunky bound volumes of twenty-five year old Smithsonian magazines. I once found a nearly complete set of the Harvard Classics. On another propitious day I scored a the very first issue of the Guinness Book of Superlatives (World Records), mint and 1956, and a treasure trove of adolescent novels. Once I found a very old dictionary nearly the size of a cinder block.

I mainly look out for books so that I can restock a five tiered bookshelf that sits in my room. It is my wish that the once trashed books will find a place in the homes of my students. They may borrow or take.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List